About the Van Deman Award
In 2013 MICA established this Award specifically to recognize our Foreign Intelligence Professionals/Partners who have made significant contributions to furthering intelligence cooperation. MICA chose to name this new Award the Major General Ralph H. Van Deman Award. MG Van Deman served in the Spanish American War, World War I, and as a consultant during World War II. During World War I, he was instrumental in establishing a series of protocols enabling the allies to share intelligence on the Central Powers. He brought the various allied intelligence activities together, enabling a more complete picture of the situation on the Western Front. It seemed appropriate that his name be given to an award recognizing allied intelligence professionals who have made significant contributions to our intelligence efforts.
Like the Knowlton, the Van Deman Award becomes special recognition for those allied professionals who have gone the extra measure to ensure cooperation with U.S. Military Intelligence Forces.
Any Foreign Intelligence Professional may receive the award. They must have made significant contributions to furthering intelligence cooperation and have demonstrated excellence and must have the highest standards of integrity, moral character, and dedication to duty, demonstrated superb professional competence. This is a once in a lifetime award. Click here to see if an individual has already received this award.
Back to Top
When possible, MICA Awards should be presented by MICA National or Chapter leadership.
- Step 1: The nominator must be a member of MICA. To purchase a membership, click here.
- Step 2: The Van Deman Award is a once in a lifetime award. To see if an individual has already received the award you are nominating them for, click here.
- Step 3: Complete the nomination form: Award Nomination Form. E-mail the completed form as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please save completed forms as individual files (one per nominee) and include the awardee’s name in the filename. In the event that you are making multiple nominations, you may send multiple attachments in one email.
- Step 4: A $50 payment is required for each nomination. Click here to complete your award payment online using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. For multiple nominations, change the quantity in the Shopping Cart. Once you have paid, you will receive an order number which you can include on your nomination form under the payment section.
- Step 5: Processing. A minimum of 10 business days are required for processing from the date of the receipt of the nomination, payment and approval of the award. MICA National will mail the certificate and medal to the shipping address specified on the nomination form. MICA normally uses USPS First Class or Priority Mail.Please do not hesitate to contact the MICA Director of Finance and Administration at email@example.com or MICA Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional information or assistance.