About the Knowlton Award
The Knowlton Award recognizes individuals who have contributed significantly to the promotion of Army Military Intelligence in ways that stand out in the eyes of the recipients, their superiors, subordinates, and peers. These individuals must also demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and moral character, display an outstanding degree of professional competence, and serve the MI Corps with distinction. This award was established in 1995 by MICA, in support of the MI Corps. MICA is the sponsoring organization and provides financial resources, administrative control, and publicity.
Any officer, warrant officer, enlisted soldier or civilian may receive the award. They must have demonstrated excellence in intelligence or superior support to MI, and must have the highest standards of integrity, moral character, and dedication to duty, demonstrated superb professional competence and leadership in a MI unit. Both the nominator and the nominee for MICA’s Knowlton Award must be members of MICA. This is a once in a lifetime award. To see if an individual has already received this award you can check the award recipients alphabetically or use the award search tool.
When possible, MICA Awards should be presented by MICA National or Chapter leadership.
- Step 1: Both the nominator and nominee must be members of MICA. To purchase a membership, click here. If you purchased a membership for your nominee, please indicate if you would like the membership mailed with the award.
- Step 2: The Knowlton Award is a once in a lifetime award. To see if an individual has already received the award you are nominating them for, click here.
- Step 3: Complete the nomination form: Award Nomination Form. E-mail the completed form as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please save completed forms as individual files (one per nominee) and include the awardee’s name in the filename. In the event that you are making multiple nominations, you may send multiple attachments in one email.
- Step 4: A $50 payment is required for each nomination. Click here to complete your award payment online using Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover. For multiple nominations, change the quantity in the Shopping Cart. Once you have paid, you will receive an order number which you can include on your nomination form under the payment section.
- Step 5: Processing. A minimum of 10 business days are required for processing from the date of the receipt of the nomination, payment and approval of the award. MICA National will mail the certificate and medal to the shipping address specified on the nomination form. MICA normally uses USPS First Class or Priority Mail. Please do not hesitate to contact the MICA Director of Finance and Administration at email@example.com or MICA Office Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for any additional information or assistance.
(Play Knowlton Video)
The Military Intelligence Corps Association is the premier professional association of the U.S. Army Military Intelligence Corps, with the mission of preserving history, education leaders, honoring professionals, sharing knowledge and providing supporting award programs. MICA members represent the active duty, reserve component, retired, as well as defense contractors and others who support the MI Mission component and are dedicated to ensuring that Army Intelligence remains “Always Out Front!”
At this time, I invite (presenter) and (awardee) to come forward. (Presenter) will now present (awardee) with the Knowlton Medal and a Knowlton Certificate.
The Knowlton Award was established in June 1995 by the Military Intelligence Corps Association. The award honors LTC Thomas Knowlton who commanded the Knowlton Rangers, the first intelligence and reconnaissance unit in the continental army during the American Revolution. The creation of this unit is regarded as the birth of American Military Intelligence. The Knowlton Award recognizes those individuals who have made significant contribution to the Military Intelligence Corps. Recipients must have demonstrated the highest standards of integrity and moral character and have displayed an outstanding degree of professional competence.
Patriot, warrior and soldier, LTC Thomas Knowlton was the embodiment of courage and gallantry. (Awardee) embodies these same qualities and represents excellence. Please join me a round of applause.
Video about LTC Knowlton
Back to Top
How to wear Knowlton Medal
Holders of the Knowlton Award should wear their award with intense pride and decorum. They must, however, be extremely judicious in their choice of the occasions for wear. The medallion should be worn only at functions such as the MI Corps birthday celebration, MI Balls, Dining-In and Out. Inappropriate occasions are social functions such as AUSA meetings, etc. When worn with the Army Blue Mess or Army White Mess uniform, the Medallion should be worn with the ribbon around the neck, outside the shirt collar, and inside the coat collar. The Medallion should hang at full length on the ribbon.
Back to Top